6 Amazing Things You Need to Know about Digital Onboarding
Digital Onboarding is a technological solution in which all the necessary information about the new worker is collected and centralized from the first moment. Conversely, it allows the worker to learn about his new employer, teams and growth prospects, so that he can start his new professional adventure on the right foot.
Arriving at a new job and not having a designated job or desk for you, or a computer to use, much less the applications or tools you need. Arriving at the new job and not having anyone to greet you, or to introduce you to new colleagues, or to explain how to move around the office or on the factory floor, or to show you what you are going to do or who you are going to report to. All this happens to many people on their first day on the job. When they present themselves at the company, few people in the organization know they are coming.
The time wasted dealing with all these “unforeseen events” and entering data into systems by traditional methods is very high. There are studies that indicate that with an Digital Onboarding solution, more than 50% of time is saved compared to traditional non-automated methods, which often imply the re-entry of data over and over again, in different systems.
Take note of other relevant data about Digital Onboarding:
- Employee retention improves by 82% while productivity increases by more than 70%, according to research by theBrandon Hall Group;·
- New hires imply, on average, more than 50 tasks that need to be completed during the onboarding period, notes Sapling;·
- A study by the Society for Human Resources Management Foundation(USA) reveals that 20% of employee departures occur in the first 90 days.
At the end of reading this article, you will find out what the Digital Onboarding process works and how it can help to automate processes, retain talent and increase employee satisfaction.
1. What is Digital Onboarding Employee?
Onboarding is considered by many authors as the most important phase in the life of a worker in the organization. It is essential that the reception is warm, as 20% of employees leave in the first 90 days, a value that reduces when they are well received.
It is a case to refer to the saying «the first impression is the one that stays». And it’s true. The new employee will feel more comfortable and satisfied if the company is prepared to receive him, if he gets to know the rules, deadlines and everything that is relevant to his initial cycle in the company.
Digital Onboarding software helps recruiters and team managers streamline the onboarding process for new workers and guide them through the hiring and training process. These solutions help organize and manage things like documentation requirements, peer contacts and presentations, and general organization policies.
With good Digital Onboarding, documentation for the employee begins to be prepared even before they enter. Therefore, when he arrives, and after consulting the repository, he immediately gets the perception of what the organization is (values, culture), what is his framework in it and how he can project his new professional life. You also have training manuals and calendars at your disposal. With a good reception, the retention of workers is facilitated.
What the employee learns quickly with a good Digital onboarding process
- What are you supposed to be doing?
- How should you do it?
- Who are you doing it with?
- What unique skills does it bring to the company?
- Where can you go?
For its part, the organization collects the relevant data from the worker only once to follow up on other processes such as reporting to social security, payment of wages or the allocation of meal cards. Because the Digital Onboarding system integrates with other applications, eliminating the need to re-collect data. As the relevant information is available to the rest of the people in the company, everyone knows that a new colleague has joined, what tasks they will perform, the skills they have and who they report to within the organization’s organizational chart.
2. When does Digital Onboarding of workers start?
The company must prepare the Onboarding phase of the new employee a few days before he/she goes to work. At that time, the necessary data will be collected for the contractual process, communication to Social Security and Finance, attribution of benefits such as the meal card or insurance, among others.
This phase – which can last for a year, including training – is one of the most important in the life cycle of the worker in the organization. It is at this point that objectives are defined and what is to be expected from the worker’s integration into the organization, including training and hierarchy.
The message that the company sends in the onboarding process must be clear and precise.
With the help of Digital Onboarding, on the first day in the company, the employee will feel welcome, and, in addition to knowing right away what he has to do, thanks to the integration with other systems, he will have at his disposal:
- Your physical place in the company;
- The created e-mail address;
- The computer with all the necessary tools and applications, according to your profile;
- The contract to sign;
- Documentation on policies, values, company culture;
- Process or training manuals;
- Access to the necessary training cycles;
- The company’s organizational chart and its position in it;
- To whom it reports hierarchically;
All this is possible, because the Onboarding solution can be integrated with other applications and business processes such as:
- Human Resources Platform;
- Salary processing;
- Training cycle;
- Evaluation cycle;
- Asset allocation (computers, programs, cards)
- Training and assessment tools;
Furthermore, thanks to the availability of information to the teams, the new employee can also integrate informally.
The Digital Onboarding platform shares everyone’s tastes, because they can contribute to the immediate creation of links with people with similar tastes. Reading, doing gymnastics, playing online or on a board, walking or running… There are always common points between people.
3. Benefits of a well-configured, data-laden Onboarding solution
- Information is made available quickly;
- The worker gets to know what their objectives, training and evaluation cycles are. It can also generate realistic expectations of evolution, as they are presented in a clear and transparent way;
- The information provided is protected and the data processing complies with the rules of the General Data Protection Regulation (RGPD, it is reliable and secure;
- The employee has knowledge in an automated way of the organizational structure (organigram) and in what position he is within the organization;
- Provides automatic access to guidelines, manuals and policies available online;
- Contributes to a sustainable culture, as it significantly reduces the use of paper, because everything is made available electronically;
- Through pre-configured routines, the Onboarding solution meets the conditions to trigger automatic processes necessary for integration. So that nothing fails on the first day of work or the first receipt of salary.
With Human Resource Management as a Service, designed from the ground up from the point of view of process automation, and the optimization of the time dedicated to these functions (according to the Center for Effective Organizations, 50% of a human resources department’s time is consumed by updating internal processes or answering questions and doubts from employees.) your company can fully dedicate itself to your business.
In accordance with the Cyberspace Security Legal Regime, it works in a SaaS model, entirely in the cloud. In addition, it was designed with automation and the digital transition in mind, namely empowerment, digitization and interoperability, solving problems, eliminating barriers and increasing efficiency.
Digital Onboarding software has numerous advantages that can help you, from the first moment, in the area of salary management, in the elaboration of map models or in the submission of legal maps.
With the Human Resources Management as a Service software, you can manage careers and salary scales, manage salary calculation rules, block import of variables for processing, create map models through ad hoc listings, automatically issue all maps officers.
In addition, it allows the management of employees’ assets, training records, occupational medicine and also the management of alerts and automatic notifications.
4. What information must be available in the Digital Onboarding process?
Digital Onboarding is expected to be the launch pad to receive the employee quickly and efficiently.
Therefore, information is collected:
- Necessary for the elaboration of the contract;
- To draw a profile that is shared with the teams that will be involved with the new employee. It is very important to link people with specific profiles;
- About the employee’s hobbies, what he does in his spare time.
On the company side, the following are introduced on the platform, for consultation by employees:
- Set of information on company policies and other materials;
- Information on training cycles;
Information about what you can expect to do on the first, second, third day, first week and so on to generate expectations in collaboration.
5. Why is it important to monitor the Digital Onboarding process?
Configured and loaded with data, the Onboarding solution allows you to automate, streamline and monitor processes within the organization. Monitoring and tracking of tasks allows the system to automatically certify that the employee is performing the Onboarding tasks on time and correctly.
It should be noted that most companies are at an embryonic stage in terms of Onboarding. Information, including sensitive data such as personal data, copies of identification documents, training manuals or information about the operation of the organization, continues to travel by e-mail, in chat rooms on the Intranet or outside it. The time lost to confirm that the employee (or the organization) received the data, the number of messages that are lost, that are not read, that are received, but are not even opened when read more!
With the automated, and monitored Digital Onboarding process, you save a lot of time and time is money.
In terms of technology, the Digital Onboarding solution, in addition to integrating and synchronizing with internal systems, allows for the automation and monitoring of various indicators.
As already mentioned, the necessary conditions are assigned to automatically trigger processes: the employee will need a computer, e-mail, certain tools and applications, the meal card, the employment contract, to visit the medicine at work and much more.
- Validation of the availability of rules to the worker;
- Definition of the expected cycles for that worker in the organization;
- Strengthening of the relationship with the worker and consequent retention in the organization;
- Motivation, integration and availability of information about the company to the worker;
- Confirmation of collection of the necessary information, in an intuitive way, with control over the process.
The system then synchronizes with other company applications to be able to implement business processes, complying with internal and legal requirements that the company must comply with:
- Salary processing;
- Communication to social security;
- Communication to insurers;
- Generation of meal or access cards;
- Referral to occupational medicine;
6. How to simplify employee onboarding processes
If you weren’t aware of this automated way of receiving new employees, the time has come for you to start saving time and optimizing resources.
The solution is sought after by medium and large companies in the banking, insurance, education services, hotels and public administration sectors.
Digital Onboarding UnikPeople is the ideal solution for your company and helps you to:
- identify the challenges inherent to your recruitment and training process;
- focus the Onboarding process on commitment and retention;
- Effectively communicate the importance of formal Onboarding programs to engage company leadership with Return on Investmentmeasures.
The Digital Onboarding module is part of the Employee Portal solution and allows employees to autonomously register the necessary documentation and fill in forms with their personal data. In this way, you are optimizing the management of Human Resources.
- Automation in employee Onboarding;
- Employees record and consult your personal information;
- Workers submit their personal documents;
- Employees are notified to digitally sign the contract.
It also integrates performance management and evaluation, which becomes simpler and more useful. You can set goals and competencies for each role type and monitor your progress. Employees can also make self-assessments and compare them with the manager’s assessment.
by Célia Barata – RegTech & HR Business Manager @Uniksystem